Originally Constructed: 1810
Relocated to Village: Original
When the Village Association took possession of the grounds two buildings were on the site: the Lukens House and the Lukens post and beam barn built on the site in about 1810.
The barn had been stripped of all its siding which was part of the process all the buildings in the project area went through, were either taken down for the material in them, moved to another location, or simply demolished. A few were burned by vandals.
The weathered barn siding, a desirable commodity for decorative purposes, had been taken by a local builder leaving only the frame and the roof. Although it was piled full of manure and debris the frame was still strong and so it was decided to restore it as one of the first Village projects.
Through several years the Village volunteers removed siding from other condemned buildings in the project area, sawed them to fit and resided the building. A floor was put in and doors and windows added and the big barn doors were built. Stone foundation work was done and the building became a valuable item for both storage and operation of the Village.
Over the years it has been a dance floor, machinery, storage facility, craftperson’s sales area, performer’s stage, the bake table area for Volunteer food sales at festivals and meeting location. It now houses a restored 1800’s operable wood lathe.
As time went on, the barn suffered some aging and currently it is closed and there is no floor within the building. One of the projects which we have at the top of our list is to put a new barn into the floor and once again create a space for dances and receptions to be able to be held. Until that time though, we request that everyone remain out of the building.